UNIVERSITY HEALTH SERVICE
The University Health Service (UHS) is UPLB’s DOH-accredited secondary-level hospital, catering to the health care needs primarily of its students, employees and their dependents, and secondarily, to the needs of the Los Baños community and neighboring communities.
Major Services / Programs
History of the UHS
The University Health Service was initially created in 1914 as a clinic to address the felt need for medical services of the pioneering few faculty members and students then of the College of Agriculture. Originally named the College Health Service, the clinic was situated in the upper floor of the old Agricultural Economics building at the present site of the Humanities building. It was manned only by one nurse, Mr. Felix Valera until eventually junior resident doctors from the Philippine General Hospital rotating from a period of 6 months to 1 year were assigned to head the clinic. The very first resident assigned was Dr. Herminio Velarde, Sr., followed by Dr. Jose Villacorta.
Beginning under the supervision of the College of Agriculture in 1914, to the Office of the Vice-Chancellor for Instruction in the early 70’s, and to the Office of the Vice-Chancellor for Administration in the 80’s, the UHS is now under the Office of the Vice-Chancellor for Community Affairs since the latter’s constitution in 1997.
The growth of the University Health Service gained mileage in 1995 during the term of Dr. Emiliano S. Mendoza when it was elevated by the Department of Health into a secondary level general hospital. Its development was carried on by his immediate successors, Dr. Ma. Victoria S. Matias-Turalba, and henceforth by Dr. Marilyn M. Palma-Reaño, and Dr. Jessie Imelda R.Foronda-Walde. (Dr. Myla Lourdes R. Avena, Deputy Director)