Building Strong Community Relationships
The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Community Affairs (OVCCA) is one of the executive offices of the UPLB central administration that is tasked to create an enabling environment for creativity and innovation for the University’s constituents. It ensures a safe and secure, healthy, hazard-free, clean and green, livable, and sustainable campus 24/7. OVCCA is also in charge of building and nurturing good relations among UPLB’s internal and external communities, and maintaining strong community networks among partner institutions, the Los Baños community and local government, and communities in the CALABARZON region.
To fulfill its mandate, the OVCCA supervises the following UPLB units:
- University Health Service (UHS)
- UPLB Housing Office (UHO)
- University Police Force (UPF)
- Business Affairs Office (BAO)
It also supervises the following committees:
- Occupational Health and Safety Standards Committee (OHSSC)
- Joint Management Committees (JMC) for UPLB’s land leases
- Public Information Committee
History of OVCCA
The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Community Affairs (OVCCA) was created as part of the reorganization of UPLB administration, which was approved by the Board of Regents (BOR) during its 1113th meeting held on 23 October 1997. Its creation aimed at enhancing the efficient and effective management and coordination of the community services programs of UPLB. Placed under OVCCA’s supervision were: Makiling Management Office (MMO), Physical Plant Maintenance and Services Office (PPMSO) and the Staff Housing Office (SHO). Likewise, three offices under the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administration (OVCA) were transferred to OVCCA. These were: University Food Service (UFS), University Health Service (UHS), and the University Police Force (UPF).
On 1 February 2000, Chancellor Wilfredo P. David issued Memorandum No. 10 transferring the administrative supervision of a number of offices/units of UPLB for better allocation and use of resources, improvement in basic services, and integration of related services and functions. These were: Land Grant Management Office (LGMO) from the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Planning and Development (OVCPD); Business Affairs Office (BAO) from OVCA; and Continuing Education Center (CEC) from Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Extension (OVCRE). Two committees, the Campus Landscaping Committee (CLC), and the Occupational Health and Safety Standards Committee (OHSSC) were also placed under OVCCA. Meanwhile, the PPMSO was transferred from OVCCA to OVCPD.
On 31 July 2001 thru Administrative Order No. 118 issued by Chancellor Wilfredo P. David, the CLC was transferred from OVCCA to OVCPD.
On 30 January 2003 at its 1167th meeting, the BOR approved the integration of the MMO into the Makiling Center for Mountain Ecosystems (MCME), College of Forestry and Natural Resources (CFNR). Likewise, it also approved the creation of the Office of Alumni Affairs (OAA) under the OVCCA.
On 16 January 2006 thru Administrative Order No. 17 issued by Chancellor Luis Rey I. Velasco, the BAO was transferred from OVCCA to OVCA.
On 31 March 2006, the BOR at its 1207th meeting approved the proposal for the abolition of the UFS and the redeployment of its staff to other UPLB units effective 1 April 2006.
On 29 March 2007, the BOR at its 1219th meeting approved the request of UPLB Chancellor Luis Rey I. Velasco to transfer the administrative supervision of the Office of Alumni Relations (OAR) from OVCCA to the Office of the Chancellor (OC).
On 6 July 2007, Administrative Order No. 91 issued by Chancellor Luis Rey I. Velasco, the administrative supervision of the Continuing Education Center was transferred from OVCCA to the OVCA. The CEC became directly under the BAO, OVCA.
On 17 March 2015, Chancellor Fernando C. Sanchez issued Administrative Order No. 88 to transfer the administrative supervision of LGMO from the OVCCA to the OVCPD.
On 18 March 2015, Chancellor Fernando C. Sanchez issued Administrative Order No. 130 to transfer the administrative supervision of the Charles Fuller Baker Memorial Hall or simply Baker Hall from the Department of Human Kinetics of the College of Arts and Sciences to the BAO-OVCCA to be transformed into a Cultural and Recreational Center.
As of 2015, the OVCCA has the following units under its supervision: UHO, UHS, UPF, and BAO. It also supervises the following committees and projects: OHSSC, JMC, and Public Information Committee.
Functions of OVCCA
- Transform the OVCCA into an effective nerve and coordination center of all operations for all its units
- Strengthen security system in the University by transforming the University Police Force into a professional security force through structural change or systems improvement
- Realize the income generation potential of UPLB’s endowed resources and sustainable development, and conservation programs
- Provide more housing opportunities for UPLB students and staff through sound policies and comprehensive housing programs
- Enhance the efficiency and responsiveness of the University Health Service to deliver quality health services to the University’s constituents
- Ensure that UPLB is free from occupational hazards
- Build and nurture good town-and-gown relations through strong community networks